Tzatziki is made with yogurt and cucumbers.
It is considered a Greek dish but the word comes from the Turkish cacik. In addition to the main ingredients, lemon, dill parsley and mint can be used.
I first encountered tzatziki in, of all places, the Australian state of Tasmania. Once tried, I never looked back.
Tzatziki can be used on meat dishes or as a dip. It is healthy, tasty, and very refreshing.
The following recipe has been used by our family for years. Give it a try.
• 1 continental cucumber, unpeeled
• 1.5 cups (full-fat) Greek yoghurt (don’t be afraid of the fat content here - there are health and taste benefits)
• 1 Tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves of crushed garlic
• Lemon juice to taste
• Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Take the cucumber and cut it lengthwise once. Use a spoon to remove the seeds.
2. Grate the cucumber, squeeze out excess liquid, and drain.
3. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
4. Cover and chill in the refrigerate.
5. Serve and enjoy.
Photo courtesy of Robert Kindermann, 2006, posted by